A Box From the Shelf on the Cellar Stairs

    Let me begin by saying that my washing machine and dryer live in my basement.  Inconvenient, I suppose, but slightly less so than the laundromat.  Anyway, this detail is important for understanding this box because I average ten loads of laundry per week.  This is two trips down the stairs (past this box) and two trips (not literally, we hope) up the stairs (past this box) for each load of laundry.  This is an awful lot of walks past this box.  I can't tell you how long it's been there but I can safely say that the paint on the shelf in front of the box is no longer the same color as the paint on the shelf underneath the box.  It's been there a while.

    The benefit to a somewhat laissez faire approach to housework is that a sink full of dishes never keeps me up at night.  The downside, is that somewhere along the line, I just stop seeing these boxes, piles etc.  I am trying to do better.

    This box contained:

     (1) Dreamwriter.  This is a sort of word processor thingy circa 1995.  Bought on EBAY when I desperately wanted and couldn't afford a laptop.  The guy at Radio Shack laughed hysterically when I tried to by a battery for it.
    (1) Broken dog collar.  Please don't ask me why I saved this.  Even I don't know.
    (1) Dried up tube of caulk.  As a side note, my children despite maturity in other areas, still dissolve into helpless giggles and "that's what she said" jokes at the mention of caulk.
    (3) paint brushes
    (1) pair of slightly rusty needle nose pliers
    (1) terrifying looking glue stick
   (1/2) bag of "Mini Jumbo Popsicle Sticks" no doubt left over from some long forgotten cub scout project.  What gets me here is the wording...isn't "Mini Jumbo" some sort of oxymoron?
    Several dubious batteries of various voltages
   (1) gift certificate for Medieval Manor circa Christmas 2005.  I was wondering where that went!  Wonder if it's still good...?
   (1) package of common nails (more popular than obscure nails?)
   (1) spool of black ribbon (are we in mourning?)
   (2) Polaroid photos - The first is of the boys circa 2000.  The second is of the whole family, circa 2004.  Both include Santa.
   (1) empty photo album - This is also a refugee from the my cub scout leader days.
   (1) EXTREMELY sketchy looking gold embossed plastic Jesus which says "Sacred Heart Auto League Member" (also in gold).  I don't know what this is.  I don't know why I have it.  I don't know why I still had it (at least until ten minutes ago!)

    I'm pleased to announce that almost all of this box was tossed.  I salvaged the Polaroids, the photo album (well that's convenient, isn't it?) and the needle nose pliers and the gift certificate.  Everything else went directly into the trash.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200.

Comments

Popular Posts