A Box From Behind The Worst $20 I Ever Spent

    Okay, here's a confession.  One of the main reasons I have so many random boxes of crap in the first place, is that random boxes are my "cleaning" default.  People coming over?  Can't find the dining room table?  Missing that important piece of mail/overdue library book/child's permission slip?  My MO is to sweep everything into a random box to deal with at a later date.  Except that the random later date never materializes.  The counter or table is now in effect clean.  This missing item is (hopefully) found and all that clutter is in a random box, out of sight, out of mind.  This is clearly not an effective strategy.  The "worst $20 I ever spent"?  That's a story for another post.  Soon, though, I promise.

    So the first random box of 2014 contained the following:

   (1) Love Is Hell book by Matt Groenig.  (As a totally irrelevant aside, I'll add that this book contains one of my favorite quotes about love which is " Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra andd then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."
   (1) nickle
   (1) ugly pillowcase, bought not to actually use as a pillowcase but for some project I cannot remember.
  (14) Lego bricks
  (1) weird postcard book
  (1) dictionary of synonyms and antonyms
  (1) inspirational card from my friend Annmarie
  (2) old magazines - (1) Runner's World, (1) Yoga Journal
  (1) Dr Seuss book (Marvin K. Mooney Would You Please Go Now?) sans cover
  (4) bolts in an envelope
  (1) plastic pirate
  (2) rolls of tape (1 packing, 1 painter's)
  (3) screwdrivers (1 flat head, 2 Phillip's head)
  (2) pair of kid's scissors
  (2) ballpoint pens
  (4) colored pencils
  (1) headband
  (1) scrubby thingy for dish washing

    I consigned the ugly pillowcase and the weird postcard book to a box headed for the thrift store.  I put the books in a bookcase (bizarre, right?)  Screwdrivers went into the toolbox, tape in the junk drawer, writing implements went into a bin I keep by the phone for (gasp!) writing implements.   Most of this batch didn't need to be tossed, just re-directed to a more appropriate place (like some people I know).

    Things I probably should have thrown out but didn't?  The plastic pirate and the bolts.  My kids are 17 and 14.  It seems very unlikely that they will ever play with a plastic pirate again.  But I was feeling sentimental here as opposed to practical (and this is what gets me into trouble, friends!).

    I'm unsure if the bolts go to a futon we no longer own or bunk beds we currently own (but aren't using as bunk beds).  When in doubt...throw it back in the box?!?!

Comments

Popular Posts