Is This a Good Idea?

    So, I've either had the best organizing idea ever or the worst ad I haven't decided which yet.  As a disclaimer, I want to say that this is the best (or worst) idea for me.  I get that it wouldn't work for some people and I also get that some people would never need it.
    In the words of Inigo Montoya "Let me explain.  No.  There is no time.  Let me sum up."
    One of my biggest clutter (hoarding?) issues is clothes.  I've thought about the origins of this a lot.  I've always loved to buy clothes ever since I earned my first babysitting money when I was about twelve.  In middle school, I didn't think I was attractive in any way.  I was chubby.  I was starting to break out/  I couldn't much control the physical stuff but I could wear clothes I thought were cool.  (Let me add that just because I thought they were cool, doesn't necessarily mean they were.  In fifth grade I had a pair of knee socks which I adored,  They had eyes and a pom pom nose.  I wore them with everything including skirts.  Shudder.)
    At any rate, for me, clothes have the ability to add to (or detract from) my comfort and confidence levels.  What separated the cool kids from me?  What did they have that I didn't?  It certainly was't their niceness which set them apart.  It must have been the Nikes.
    Maybe my love of clothes buying has nothing at all to do with my awkward early teen years.  My grandmother LOVED to shop for clothes, so maybe it's just hardwired into my DNA.  Sorry.  So much for only "summing up".
    Anyway, a few days ago, I found myself trying to get ready for work, stomping around the house, muttering "This is ridiculous."  I can't find anything.  I have way too many clothes.  I've started a new job and while I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm trying to dress to impress, I am trying to make a good impression.
    In addition to having too much stuff, I also need to process it visually.  If all my clothes were folded neatly in drawers (as if that would happen) I would honestly not be able to remember what I have.  I need to see it.  I barely have a closet (old Victorian house) no less a walk in closet.  So I have piles.  It drives my husband crazy (although that's not why I do it.)  Honestly, it's beginning to drive me crazy too.
    The other morning, I dumped everything from the pile onto our bed. looking for something or other.  I've had to do this multiple times in the last few weeks with varying degrees of success.  Many hours later, after I've worked all day, made dinner, done laundry and done whatever else I had to do, I've usually forgotten about the mountain of clothing on my bed and I'm in for an unpleasant shock when I decide I'm too tired to manage my day anymore.
    So what if I were to take photos of every item of clothing I own (which also might be a visual reminder of excess and make me ask "Really?").  I could put the photos in a binder and write locatios down.  Okay, those jeans I love are in the second dresser drawer.  My Beatles tee shirt is in that overflow laundry basket etc.
    This seemed like a great idea on the way to work the other day.  It seemed like not such a great idea the other night at 8:30pm.  Now. a few days later, I'm ambivalent.  I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not.  Does anybody else out there need to SEE their stuff?  How do you handle that?  Let's be interactive here.  This blog doesn't need to just be me writing.  Tell me what worked for you!
 

Comments

Popular Posts