Lunchbox Lessons

For years, I've been joking that someday, someone will love me enough to pack my lunch.  This is a job I loathe.  I can't even really tell you why, I just know that this is something I've had to do for about 95% of the workdays in my life and I would rather stick needles in my eyes.  I've had a brief, involuntary period of unemployment and I'm gratefully going back to work in a few days.  But I wasn't feeling grateful about wandering around Walmart, wondering what I could pack for lunches in the coming week.

Then, it hit me.  I need to love myself enough to do it. Gosh darn it.  I've been working on self care lately.  It's an ongoing theme.  I'm not great at it, like a lot of people, but I'm trying to get better.  Nobody is going to rescue me from lunch making or anything else, for that matter. Step up. Figure it out and just do it.

Immediately on the heels of this insight, was this one: That thing that you absolutely hate to do?  The one that you rush through? The one that you do because you have to but you hate it? That's the one that needs your full attention.  That's the activity where you need to take a breath, become present and do whatever it is mindfully and with loving kindness.

Maybe it's flossing your teeth or grocery shopping or buying clothes for yourself.  We all have everyday tasks we don't love. And we all have at least one or two that we absolutely have to slog through.  This is the one, that for whatever reason, is asking for our full attention.  The crazier it makes you, the more unpleasant it feels, the more you need to embrace it.


What's your task?  What's the mundane, daily job that absolutely drives you around the bend?  Lean in. Ask "why". Breathe. And try to do it with a different attitude.

Comments

Popular Posts