Forces of Chaos Origins

This is a blog about clutter.  Sometimes it's about physical clutter with which I have issues.  Sometimes it's about mental clutter with which I believe almost everyone has issues.  But where did the phrase come from? And what does it mean?

This was my desk/work space at a job I loved and worked at for ten years. The first time my husband saw it, he said "well I can see why you enjoy working there." Not sure it was complimentary but whatever.  This was a small oasis of chaos in a bigger 10,000 square foot warehouse filled with even more chaos.  The company sold automotive literature.  Restore a '57 Chevy and want the original owner's manual? We had it.  Paint chips, sales brochures, dealer albums...we had it all.   We had stuff you couldn't even imagine.  We had information on cars you've never even heard of.

I was the inventory manager and later the warehouse manager.  I did all sorts of things. I learned all sorts of things.  Bob, the owner was about 4' 11".  Severe Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis had stunted his growth.  He was funny and sarcastic and often said things which were inappropriate.  Sometimes on purpose.  Other times inadvertently.  He and I got along just fine.  Other people didn't get keys to the building for years.  I got one the first day I worked there and worked by myself for a couple of hours each day before anyone else even arrived.

Sometimes Bob would wander over to my desk and ask what I was doing.  Usually, I would just explain what I was working on.  Sometimes though, I would tell him simply that I was battling the forces of chaos.  It wasn't untrue. From other employees, he often demanded much more detailed and realistic explanations of their work. But he never asked me more on those occasions.  He just kind of chuckled. 

Bob was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2012 and passed away in 2014.  We sold the inventory and the business closed down.  I was sad to lose Bob and I was sad to lose the job.  Ten years is a long time to work some place these days.

Unemployment proved to to be exhausting and demoralizing.  It wasn't like I could go out and get another job in automotive literature. I even had known it was looming, after all, Bob was sick for two years and he was always honest about what the fate of the business would be should anything happen to him. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to help me cope. I applied for a lot of other administrative  and clerical jobs. I got interviews and even second interviews but nobody hired me.

Finally, somebody gave me a job.  In childcare.  I didn't ever anticipate that I would work in childcare despite a lifelong love of working with kids.  And I certainly didn't anticipate loving my job.  For months now, I've been walking around saying "No one is more surprised than me that I love my job."  Just last week, I realized that no one but me is surprised that I love my job. "You were built to do this," my friend told me.

Sometimes you can battle the forces of chaos.  You can restore order and calm.  You can sort things out neatly.  Other times you can't battle the forces of chaos.  Sometimes you have to lean in and embrace the chaos.  Give it a big 'ol hug. 

Before I got the job with Bob, I worked for a realtor.  It was a lovely commute but the job itself was never a good fit for me.  It was the only job I ever got fired from. That dismissal stung, I'm not going to lie.  But if I had the realtor here now, I'd thank her because her firing me let me find the job with Bob.  Bob passing away let me find another job that I loved.

In work, in blogging and in life, the forces of chaos have always been a factor. Wisdom comes in knowing when to fight and when to surrender.

Comments

Popular Posts