Heroes

I was telling my son about my thoughts for this blog.  I said "I'm going to be my own damn hero" and he said "Mom, you can't say it that way.  You're a teacher.  People need to be able to have heroes.  They need to be able to be inspired.  I see what you're going for but it's too harsh."

So first, let me say that I agree with him.  People do need heroes.  We all need people whom we admire.  People who inspire us to become the best versions of ourselves.  People who make us want to make the world better for everyone.  We are all connected and those connections are really important.

But sometimes, it's also important to step up, lean in and become your own hero. 

It's "spirit week" at work this week.  Tomorrow is super hero day.  We're supposed to dress up as our favorite super hero and that got me thinking about the whole topic.  I'm a team player.  I will participate in spirit week.  I even made myself a cape.  But tomorrow, I will dress as my own darn hero. 

Admire people.  Respect them.  You can even aspire to be like them.  That kind of hero worship can be beneficial.  It can move us forward.  But don't expect someone else to rescue you.  You can't expect another person to create your happiness.  You are responsible for your own happiness.  If you have that voice which tells you, you aren't enough (and we all hear that voice sometimes), nobody can silence that voice but you.  Be your own hero.   

You cannot put your growth, evolution and development as a person into someone else's hands.  Sure, you're going to fail sometimes.  You're going to make mistakes.  You will get your heart broken.  But you will learn from those experiences as you learn from every experience.   You can't put that on someone else.  It just doesn't work that way. Be your own hero.

I'm not saying we don't need love and support from other people.  We totally do.  And when you find the people who love and support you, gather them close and allow them to love and support you.  But don't expect that they will create change for you.  If change is needed, you are the only one who can make that happen.  Be your own hero. 

We romanticize our heroes.  We dream of someone to come and make it all better.  To heal our hurts. To fulfill all of our needs.  I'm not knocking love and romance.  I have a very romantic heart.  But you have to love yourself first.  Nothing else happens until you can do that.  Be your own hero.

Love, admire and respect other people.  Heroes are a good thing.  But if we were all our own heroes first, imagine how many more heroes there would be in the world.

Comments

Popular Posts