The Great Wonder Woman Underwear Conundrum

    I work with kids, so dressing up around Halloween is pretty much always a thing these days.  I don't mind. I have fun with it.  We had an entire spirit week at work this year.  Class color day, check.  Disney day, check.  No problem.  Today was costume day.  I have a weird thing about never dressing up as the same thing twice, so this year, I decided on Wonder Woman.  Why not?  It didn't seem like a hard costume to come up with and I've never been a superhero before (at least not on Halloween).
   I bought a Wonder Woman tee shirt, made a red, gold and blue tutu, turned a headband into a tiara with some glitter adhesive paper and I was off to the races, right?  Nope.  Actually I wasn't.  I bought white leggings to wear under the tutu.  The night before costume day, I was freaking out about what underwear to wear.  Seriously, this was a thing.
    I feel like white underwear is kinda' frumpy.  Not a fan.  In fact, I just tie dyed the only pair I owned.  So, I was thinking, "Wow, I really don't want to wear tie dye (or hearts or skulls or neon pink) underwear with white leggings.  That will look awful."  Should I take what's left of my paycheck and schlepp to Walmart for white underwear?  Did I have anything neutral at all?  Would it even matter under a tutu?  I'm embarrassed to tell you the amount of emotional energy I expended on this so called dilemma.
    I got tired and went to bed before resolving it.  I woke up around 4am after a weird dream involving a crazy party, a lost cat, strange feet and about 85 loads of laundry and thought, "I could just wear black leggings."  Boom. Mic drop. Done.  It was just that easy.
    This begs the question, where else in my life am I making things way more complicated than they need to be?  Where am I pushing back when really I just need to go with the flow?  Why do I make stuff so hard for myself when I could just make it easy?
    I have always done this somehow.  I come up with some convoluted solution to a problem.  Inevitably, I explain it in great detail and sometimes even with tremendous pride and somebody asks, "Really?  Why didn't you just....(fill in the blank)."
    "Oh," I respond sheepishly.  "I didn't even think of that..."
     Sometimes the simple answer really is the best answer. If only we can come up with it.  Sometimes we can't.  We cling to perfectionism.  We obsess over details that can't possible matter (because really, has anybody but me ever had a legit meltdown over Wonder Woman underwear?)  We hang on really tightly and get crazy about how things look.  We push aside the stuff we really feel.  We have 1000 ways to practice self sabotage and run from our authenticity.
    I'm going to try to use this as a cautionary tale.  I'm going to ask myself, "Is this a Wonder Woman underwear thing?  Am I being stupid and stubborn over something that's largely irrelevant?  Am I refusing to even see the easiest solution?  Wonder Woman fought Nazis for goodness sake.  I doubt she gave much thought to her underwear. I'm going to try to do the same, both literally and metaphorically.

Comments

Popular Posts