Hooray for Compost...Wait...What?

This weekend, not only did I clear brush but I did some gardening and made myself a compost bin.  And I was excited about these things!  If you had told me, even six months ago, that I would develop an interest in and possibly even a talent for horticulture, I would have laughed and asked you to lay off the hard drugs.  And yet, here we are.

"Are you gardening?" my oldest son asked with all the incredulity he could muster.  "Really?" he asked again, shaking his head.  You'd have thought I'd just solved a complicated equation while standing on my head and simultaneously knitting a sweater.  Honestly, gardening is pretty mundane.  BUT, it's also never really been my thing either.

That's the thing about really stepping out of your comfort zone; you may wind up in some place no one expected, especially you.  Stepping out of your comfort zone isn't easy.  Most of us aren't that great at it.  As a yoga teacher, I know the benefits of it but that doesn't mean it's always easy for me.  Sometimes, we need circumstance beyond our control to nudge us into a different space.

Sometimes the universe conspires to make you as uncomfortable as possible so you can realize that there may be more wisdom in letting go than hanging on.  That's it's never too late to discover something about yourself.  That you're capable of things you never thought possible.  That your worldview needs a cataclysmic shift.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert.  There's a ton I don't know.  Hey, Google, can I compost coffee filters? What's this obnoxious prickly stuff in the garden.  How big a tree is too big to cut down with a hand saw?  But I'm willing to learn. I actually like to learn. So the question is, why do I limit myself by saying things like "I don't know how to do that." or I'm not good at some other thing." Or "I don't think I would like that.'?

Clearly, I may not be a reliable source of information here.  Six months ago, I would have said I had a black thumb and composting would have held all the appeal of a root canal.  The thing is that none of us may be reliable here.  I'm sure it's not just me.  This week, friends, challenge an assumption.  Really look at some long held belief or way of doing things and ask if it's really true.  Is it still true? Was it ever true?  If I can get excited about composting, who knows what you could do? And you never know what blessings you might receive.  When I cut back the pointless prickly thing, I found a tiny wild rose bush underneath.

Comments

Popular Posts