You Are Not The Best Judge Of Your Own Work...So Stop Judging It

We are not the best judges of our own work.  Whatever that work might be - creative, artistic, spiritual, leadership or whatever work it is that you do.  I knew this but I was recently re-taught this lesson.  (That's how it is with the really important lessons.  You may have to receive them a few times before you really get them)

Here's a little backstory (before the actual story).  Several years ago, I wrote my "bucket list".  One of the things on it was to participate in an art show.  I didn't really consider myself an "artist" at that point but clearly I aspired to that.  To that end, I joined a local art association.

I loved the first show I did but I wasn't sure at the time if it would be a "one and then done" kind of thing but I found I did want to do it again.

Back in April or May, I got an email from my art association saying that there would be a sunflower show at a local bookstore in August.  That same night, I walked into the yoga studio where I teach and the owner had set out a display of silk sunflowers.  That's serendipity.  So I turned on the little fairy lights the owner keeps at the reception desk and snapped a picture with my phone.

Summer went by (really quickly) and it came time to submit the photo for the show.  I waffled here.  When I enlarged the picture, it was kinda' dark.  It was okay but I wasn't sure that I loved it.  I consider myself more of a painter than I photographer. Was it good enough? I almost didn't submit it all.  Then I said "what the heck?" and just submitted it anyway.

I was on vacation for the drop off date, so my friend Lisa (who helps to run the art association) was nice enough to drop it off for me.  And it pretty much fell off my radar at that point.  The other day, I saw an email that everything was being taken down and that Lisa would pick up anything that was still there.  I was grateful since I knew I couldn't get there for the pickup either.

Then as I was at Home Depot, wondering why in the world the stupid shower handles in my shower keep breaking and buying the third replacement in five years, I got another email from Lisa.  The subject was "Yoga Sunflower Photo - It Sold!"  Wait.  What?  I had to go back and make sure that Lisa hadn't mixed me up with some other, more talented and popular  artist.

But no,  It was me.  My photo resonated with someone enough that they opened their wallet.  I don't even remember what I priced it at although I don't think it was more than $15.  So, yeah, I'll be at work tomorrow.  But still.  I sold a piece of art work.  Me.  And it was artwork I wasn't even sure was very good.

Which is the point.  We are not the best judges of our own work.  So stop judging it. Whatever it is you do, just do it as best you can and put it out there.  Stop wondering if it's good enough.  Stop wondering if you're good enough.  More doing less (over) thinking.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts