Back To My Roots

If you read the last installment of Forces of Chaos (and you should my friends, it's full of insights) then you know that I'm making a serious effort to make some emotional and mental space by clearing some physical space.  Forces of Chaos began as sort of as sort of a running commentary on the randomness and ridiculousness of my out of control stuff.  Sometimes I go deeper.  Sometimes I tackle issues totally unrelated to clutter (but still relevant to chaos).  But this is a back to my roots, "here-is-some-nonsense-I-found-in-a-drawer" blog this week.

The drawer is in my desk in the room we use as an office.  Except, I do most stuff on my laptop in the living room these days, so I spend very little time working in the office (never been much of a work at a desk girl anyway,  I typed MANY research papers sitting on my bed with my typewriter (yeah, typewriter) perched on my lap). Anyway, here are some of the contents of this particular drawer.

(1) painted clam shell, painted by a child at least ten years ago. I have no idea which child.

(1) 3 1/2" floppy disc (which honestly weren't all that floppy) with animated cursors (cause you totally need to turn your cursor into a flamingo or a badger or whatever)

Several assorted family photos, including one of my favorite photos ever, taken when my oldest son was three and his brother was a newborn.

(1) sheet of haiku, labeled day 33.  I think this is leftover from my 100 Days of Haiku project from a few years ago.  For those of you who loved it, I apologize.  I only made it to day 46 or something.  I may bring this project back someday though.

(1) strip of reflective tape

(1) Atari Missile Command game disc (beat to hell) for Windows 95/98

(1) rabies tag from 2009

(1) Recipe for wassail (which I believe I moved from the kitchen bulletin board in a different blog a few years ago).  FYI this recipe calls for a whole GALLON of white wine and two cups of rum (among other things).  Anybody wanna' make wassail with me??

(3) sticky notes from my college roommate circa 1988.  The first says simply "Fish".  It was a running joke I think, I just don't remember its origins or meaning.  The second says "Gone to anywhere. D/"  I believe I got up (maybe to pee?) and said "I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere."  I returned to that note.  The third says "My name is Christine Wheeler and I am a Yahtzee-cheating bimbo. Really."

 These last made me laugh really hard although the third one isn't true.  I never cheated at Yahtzee and I'm not sure I could pull bimbo off.  I was amused nonetheless.

Happy to report that most of this stuff went directly into the trash (although I totally kept the photos and the sticky notes.)


Comments

Popular Posts