Love, Loss and DIY Energy Experiments

I bought Pam Grout's book, E-Squared: Nine Do-It-Yourself Energy Experiments That Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality.  I'm always trying to convert my husband to the power of positivity and to convince him that he owns his thoughts and not the other way around.  So, I suggested that we do these experiments together.  To his credit, he has an open mind and he agreed.

The first experiment is asking God or the Universe (or whatever force greater than yourself that you're comfortable with) for an unexpected gift.  The book suggests putting a deadline of 48 hours on receiving your "gift".  We started on Saturday night, and agreed to talk about what we thought happened on Monday night.

Sunday afternoon, my husband went to bring the dog out to pee and she fell down.  She had begun to fall down a lot and I suspect age and hip dysplasia had a lot to do with it.  Except on Sunday, she couldn't get up again.  We brought her a blanket and moved her water dish and made her as comfortable as we could.

Luna was almost 16.  We had adopted her as an eight week old puppy form a local shelter.  My boys were 2 and 5.  (Now they are 17 and 20).  I'm an optimist but as minutes dragged into hours and she still couldn't get up, I couldn't really envision a scenario where she got well.

We took turns sitting on the kitchen floor, talking to her, stroking her ears.  I said that some people felt that the pain of loss was too much to bear and it made them distance themselves from love.  I asked my sons what they thought about that.  I have done this with them since they were small.  I would say "I saw such and such on the news" or "Someone I know said this or that" then ask them what they thought about whatever it was.  I was happy to learn that both felt that it was always worth risking the pain of loss for love.

They might be embarrassed here but they don't read my blog.

I hated to leave her on Monday morning but everyone had to go to work and school.  Our vet closed early on Monday, but I found another local vet who had a nice-sounding blurb on their website about compassionate end-of-life care.  The only appointment I could get was for 6pm.

When I got home from work, I patted her and her eyelids fluttered but she didn't lift her head. Just before our appointment with the vet, I went upstairs to tell my oldest son that I thought we should take his car to the vet, since he has a hatch back.  When I came back down stairs, she was gone.

Luna is the first dog I've ever had.  She grew up with the boys.  Six months ago, I had told my husband "I know she's getting old.  When it's time for her to go, I hope she makes the decision and I don't have to."  And she did.

She loved life right up until the day before she died.  She behaved like a puppy on our daily walks (even though her legs didn't always cooperate).  If there was a pizza crust anywhere in the house, her tail would wag and her ears would perk up.  I don't think she was in any pain until the very end. She went peacefully. And I think that was our "gift."

 


Comments

  1. That was a gift! That and learning your sons are taking after you. :-). Xoxo RIP Luna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the loss of your fur baby

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts