Sorry, Alex

A crippling migraine had me feeling awful last night and this morning but this afternoon, while still not 100 percent, I no longer felt like lopping my own head off and I tackled my car.  It was so time.

Yesterday, my mom and I planned to go to a library book sale.  When I got to her house, I found that my nephew, Alex wanted to go too.  This was great.  I was happy to have him and he's the only reader in this particular set of cousins (including my own children, unfortunately).  But, I was driving, and in order for him to go, I had to spend ten minutes just trying to carve out a space in my back seat.  If another person had wanted to go, we'd have been done for.

He was a good sport about having to sit next to a giant pile of stuff, which probably threatened to collapse on him every time I went around a corner.  At one point he exclaimed, "There's a pink lawn flamingo back here!"

"Yup," I said.  "There is."  There were also tap shoes, old copies of Yoga Journal, a bag of mallow cream pumpkins, two bananas which had gone to the dark side and stuff you maybe can't even imagine.

He was probably dismayed by my lack of surprise.  He didn't say much else about it.  It was embarrassing though.  A few years ago, my car was still a mess but I had to ferry my kids and their friends everywhere, so it was never so bad that there was no place to sit.  Now my oldest has his license and a car and the youngest is working on it.  It's just me driving around and it's way worse.

My car looked like a homeless person was living in it.

"Homeless people are probably a lot better organized," my son quipped.  Ouch.  But he's right.  It was bad.  I have a ridiculous behemoth of a Lincoln Town Car.  You could put a bicycle or probably even a recliner in this trunk.  But I had so much stuff in mine, I can't even remember the last time I could put groceries in it.

There wasn't anything amazing in there.  Stuff I meant to bring to school and didn't.  Stuff I meant to bring in the house and didn't.  I did find a container of Chex Mix my friend Ann Marie made for my son's graduation party two summers ago.  That give you an idea of my trunk cleaning efficiency (or lack thereof).

I took trash out of my back seat.  Brought in kitty litter that had I bought weeks ago.  I found my gym bag (now if I could just manage to haul my butt the the gym).  I now know where all my camp chairs went.

I'm sorry Alex that you had to sit in a mess.  Next time will be better, I promise.

Comments

Popular Posts