Meanwhile Back at the Mystery Basket...

So if you've never read my blog before or you've forgotten, I am a very bad housekeeper.  My default strategy is to toss things into a box or basket to deal with "later".  Later is always some vaguely defined, non-specific date in the future which means I have random containers of stuff all over my house.  It's not a terrible temporary strategy but I can't seem to get a handle on the whole later thing.  I get this from my dad whether thru genetics or observation, I don't know.  While I love my dad more than you can imagine, this wasn't the best thing I learned from him by a long shot.

Recently, my sister-in-law mentioned past blog posts where I chronicled the contents of some of these random boxes or baskets.  She thought they were great and she missed reading them, she said (more or less).  I went back and re-read some of them myself this morning and frankly, I think they're pretty funny.  So Happy New Year.  Here's a random laundry basket (not filled with laundry) that's been sitting in the corner of my kitchen since at least last summer!  Contents as follows:

(1) Target bag (soon to be recycled) with something I bought my mom for Christmas (and couldn't find at Christmas).  I won't tell you what it is since my mom reads my blog and I still want her to be surprised event though I'm late.
(1) pair of oven mitts.  Useful since mine are by and large sad and no longer especially effective. which is probably why I bought them, although I can't tell you when and obviously they're not at all useful in a random basket.
(1) pair of Halloween socks.  My mom gave these to me sometime last summer.  She said "Of course, you won't be able to find these when Halloween rolls around."  It wasn't a curse or anything.  This is just a woman who knows me.
(1) bag of summer splash bubble gum.  Impulse buy anyone?
(1)package Blue and Bleach toilet bowl cleaner, unopened.  Again, useful but not where it was.
(1) book titled "Yoga For People Who Can't Be Bothered To Do It" purchased at the thrift store.  It doesn't seem to actually by about yoga but the title amused me.  Is it good?  I dunno.  I haven't read it.  it's been at the bottom of a basket for six months!
(1) Dollar Tree bag containing man soap, shampoo and inexplicably two Duplo blocks
(1) banana clip
(1) adult coloring book (mandalas)
(1) unscented, flameless candle.  Looking at the label it seems likely that I bought it at an end-of-summer clearance sale.  It's blue. I like it.  I'll use it in my yoga class.
(1) accountability partner list.  Last year at this time, my mom, sister-in-law and I went to breakfast and talked about helping each other meet our goals.  I started out well, but subsequently lost the list and was probably the worst accountability partner ever. Sorry 'bout that, guys.
(1)beach towel which I have never seen before.
(1) tiki-shaped cold cup with straw (probably also purchased on clearance)
(1) Hallmark card given to me by my college room mate circa 1989.  It shows a goofy, dejected-looking guy sitting in the desert holding a handle which is not attached to anything.  The inside says "I used to have a handle on life but then it fell off."  And that pretty much sums up this basket, all the other baskets and boxes as yet unexplored and life in general, kids!

Comments

  1. I love that you misplaced your accountability partner list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts