Why Does My Brain Lie To Me?

    The other day I was at WalMart.  I don't remember what for.  There was something I thought I needed.  There, on an end cap, were socks on clearance.  Yay!  Socks!  I always need socks.  I should buy some socks on clearance.  That's the best idea ever.
   
    Except it isn't.  First of all, the clearance price isn't all that much cheaper than the original price.  But secondly, and more importantly, I really don't need socks.  I think that I do.  I'm poorly organized.  I get frustrated with the process of matching them up after I wash them.  Sometimes, they don't get washed together which means they wind up in different loads and makes matching them up all the more annoying.  Occasionally, they just disappear from the laundry, vanishing to wherever it is that lost things go to.

    So, honestly, I probably don't need  socks.  But I think that I do.  My brain lies to me.  It loves to scream lack.  "There isn't enough!" it yells.  "You need more because there isn't enough.  There will never be enough!"

    Why is this?  Is it genetic? (My dad struggles with similar issues).  Is it pathological?  It's not my upbringing - although we never had a lot of money growing up, we were always happy. Plus, I don't remember my brain complaining about "not enough" until I was an adult.

    It's not just socks that are the problem. And it's not just buying things I don't necessarily need.  The same voice which informs me that there's not enough, also insists I may need things for some nebulous purpose in some distant future.  "Don't throw that out.  You may need it. Later."  It's a small wonder I have WAY too much stuff.

    The theory about abundance says that you'll never attract it as long as you feel like you don't have enough.  So thinking, "Gee, I really need more money so that I can take that vacation/pay the bills/ get a better car or whatever actually makes it less likely that you'll get more money.  You actually need to say put out vibes which say "I have everything I need." in order to get more.  I realize that there are people who may believe this is all a load of hooey but you have to admit there's a certain logic to it.

    If it's true (or even if it ins't) I'd really like my brain to stop telling me I don't have enough, when probably I do.

Comments

Popular Posts