They Won't Ever Love Me Back

I run a clothing swap a few times a year. It's a great way to reach out to the community and actually a lot of fun too. Sometimes I find great stuff for my family or myself.

Yesterday, I found burgundy patent leather heels in my size. They had a 1940's, pinup girl vibe that I really loved. I picked them up. I tried them on. But at the end of they day, they went with the weird 1990's nightshirts, the peculiar wooden purse and the other items donated to a friend who runs a church thrift store.

I was drawn to them immediately. I liked them a lot. So why did I let them go?  Because sometimes, stuff doesn't serve us. Sometimes we outgrow it. Sometimes we only thought it was benefitting us. It can be hard to let go of stuff though whether that stuff is attitudes, beliefs or physical stuff.

As I get older and hopefully wiser, I find that sometimes, I can see that something might not serve me before I manage to get hopelessly entangled and fall in love with it. Hooray for me. I'm leveling up.

You see, as much as I loved those shoes, I recognized that it wasn't meant to be. I'm a flats girl, really. I have been forever. I might lust after 1940's pinup girl pumps but I what I actually wear are sneakers, Chuck Taylors, flip flops and boots. 

I spend my work days chasing toddlers. I teach yoga. I work as a freelance reporter. Heels are contraindicated for all of these jobs. Even if I was still a cubicle dweller, honestly, I'd still be a flats girl. I like comfort. I like easy and (at least for me) heels fall under the category of high maintenance.

Sometimes it can be easier to reject something not meant for you rather to jettison it later. Those shoes would have taken up precious space in my closet. I would have looked at them longingly every so often but I guarantee, I would never have worn them. I really loved those shoes but I know that they were never going to love me back.

Comments

  1. I love those shoes!!! I too am a flats girl. Chucks and sandals. Shh don’t tell but I wear crocs at home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts