Watch What You're Putting Out There

Recently a friend messaged me to ask me about life, love and the universe.  I told her about some stuff that's been going on and that I've been stressed.  She's a good person and the first thing she asked was how she could help.  I said I wasn't sure.  I said if she thought I needed it, I probably did.  She decided that I needed dinner.  Dinner worked for me. A few days later, she texted me and she and her daughter brought over food for a week!

I was amazingly grateful but also amazingly mortified because my house was beyond disaster.  Cat food and coffee grounds on the counter.  Floors not mopped in God knows how long.  Stuff in piles.  It was really bad, even for me.  It went beyond clutter and verged on appalling.  I was really embarrassed.

However, it was motivational.  I spent a good chunk of that night cleaning.  And as I did, the following question occurred to me: What if my messy house is really a subtle form of self sabotage?  What if I'm telling the universe that I don't deserve better than messy counters and unwashed dishes?

Now, I'm not saying the a clean house (or even a cleaner house) would mean I have no stress or suffering.  House beautiful does not negate heartbreak.  But what about abundance?  Attracting good things into your life?  Finding enough money to actually manage to get the oil changed in my car or buy much needed snow tires?

As within. So without. And also, how you do one thing is how you do all things.  And this nagging feeling that having less physical stuff will somehow get me a lot more of the intangible stuff I need.  I want less.  Most people are obsessed with more.  Certainly there are things I want more of. Peace of mind. Grace. Answers. Patience. Can I get there by not having 100 pairs of socks and 10 black tee shirts? I don't know. But it isn't going to hurt to try.

Comments

Popular Posts