The Pina Coladas Were Great, By the Way.

"I have the best idea," I told my husband, cheerfully this morning.
"Oh yeah?" he asked.

I proceeded to launch into a whole plan involving some banana rum we bought last summer, pre-made pina colada mix and freezer bags.

Now I get, that in the grand scheme of the world, frozen alcohol drinks don't really rate up there with E=MC2 or the discovery of antibiotics.  But it's been a long week in a series of long weeks, so the prospect made my little brain do the happy dance.

"Okay," my husband conceded.  "But don't get too attached to the idea.  What if it doesn't work out?"

Frozen drinks aside, I just can't get behind this idea that you'll somehow save yourself pain and suffering ,if you hedge your bets   Like refusing to trust that there will be a positive outcome will somehow make you less disappointed if you don't get one.

I'm a passionate person.  I get excited about things.  Silly things like frozen alcohol and more serious things like graduating from college and writing books.  It's true that things don't always work out as I'd planned.  Sometimes I fail.  Sometimes I fall flat on my face.  And yeah, sometimes those failures sting.  Even when they hurt though, I always learn from them.

Besides, to me, there's no better feeling in the world than getting exciting about a new idea.  Big ideas.  Small ideas.  It doesn't matter.  New ideas are a great feeling for me.  So, to try to insulate myself from possible hurt makes no sense.  

Not only does it not make sense to me I don't think you can do it.  Not really.  You can live your whole life trying to be safe, taking no risks and yet it really won't keep you safe.  It won't prevent disappointment or loss or even keep anything horrible from happening.

Because life happens.  And sometimes it's messy.  Sometimes it hurts.  Any attempt to insulate yourself from that not only is useless but it can also insulate you from joy and love and excitement and wonder.

Winston Churchill said "Success is not final.  Failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts."  So love your ideas.  Embrace them even if there's no guarantee of success.  The nature of life is that there are really no guarantees about anything.

The pina coladas were great by the way.

Comments

Popular Posts