Adventure Time

Back in the day, my husband and I used to go on adventures.  No, we never went on safari or traveled the world but we did stuff.  Together.

The last few years, it's been a struggle just keeping the bills paid.  We're often working multiple jobs, frequently exhausted and it seems like perpetually broke.  We didn't stop hanging out, thankfully.  (A word of advice here: marry someone you like to hang out with.  Great sex is great but you've got to enjoy the other person's company too.  Great sex won't get you through unemployment, aging parents or long nights in the ER with your kids but a shared love of  being together just might.)

Lately, we've done a lot of dinner and a movie dates at home.  It hasn't been terrible.  We cooked some decent meals and watched some fun movies.  Sometimes we even managed a bottle of wine or a nice desert too. But in the interest of saving money (or more often having no money to begin with), we've also lost something.  Eventually, I worry, that we won't enjoy hanging out anymore because we've been doing the same things for too long.

So despite the fact that we're still basically broke, I decided we needed to do something different.  We needed to start having adventures again  I'm looking at Groupon and scanning everywhere I can for free or low cost things we can go do.  I'm convinced that doing things together, particularly new things will not only make us feel better now but help sustain our relationship in the long term.  I told my husband it's preventative maintenance so we can continue being married for a long time.

At the moment, I've got a free pass for the Smithsonian's museum day, admission to the Museum of Work and Culture, and a visit to a winery lined up.  As an interesting side note, while I was Goggling inexpensive things to do in my area, I found a local yoga collaborative which I'm excited about.  It was totally unrelated.  However, I believe if you make room for good things in your life, you may get more than you bargained for in a totally good way.

We get totally comfortable with our lives and our habits.  We don't change because change is hard.  Yet sometimes the things we find so comfortable are no longer serving us.  Happiness whether individually or in a relationship, is not a destination.  You don't just one day arrive and live happily ever after.  It's work and it's a constant series of adjustments.

Whether your happily coupled or contentedly single this week, go have some adventures.  You don't have climb Mount Everest.  Just get out of the house and out of your own way.

Comments

Popular Posts