You're Not "Bad"... Just Eat the Stupid Doughnut If You Want it!

I work at a daycare and I work with all women.  I like these women a lot but some of them really need to update their definition of "bad".

"I was so bad, I ate an entire sub."
"I ate a doughnut.  Is that bad?"
"I've eaten pizza twice this week,  I have to be good today."

Bad is kicking your dog.  Bad is neglecting your children.  Bad is being hateful or hurtful or a serial killer.  Regardless of what we eat, we are not bad.  We have choices.  Some are better than other but that's all.  Food, in and of itself is not bad.  Even if it's greasy, fat-filled and calorie laden, it's still just food.

A few weeks ago on the playground, some co-workers were picking themselves apart.

"I don't like my feet. I think they're ugly."
"I can't wear a bikini anymore. I'm too fat."
"I never show my thighs, they're horrible."

After about ten minutes of this, I couldn't take it anymore.

"Why don't you just love yourselves because you're awesome?" I asked, exasperated.

They laughed.  They laughed as if to say, "Ah, poor deluded, hippie, yoga teacher, Christine.  Clearly you don't understand how the world works."

But we are all awesome and amazing people.  What we eat, what we wear, what we weigh, these things have nothing to do with who we are.  Imagine what the world could be if we just stopped judging ourselves.  Why can't the world work that way?  Doughnuts are not evil incarnate.  If you want to eat a doughnut, just eat a freaking doughnut.  If eating it wasn't a good choice for you, make a better choice next time.  Don't dwell on it.  Don't act like eating that doughnut was akin to hacking your neighbors to bits with a machete.

Stop beating yourself up over food and your body.  Nothing about any of this makes you bad.  This doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make the best choices for you, it just means you should cut yourself a little slack.  There's lots of legitimate bad stuff in the world, you and that doughnut are not on the list!

Comments

Popular Posts